History of the building

History of the building

Patients often ask about the history of our wonderful building. Castlegate itself is one of the oldest streets in York and was originally the main road to the Castle gates. It was the site of a Franciscan Friary which was surrendered to the King in 1538. The Royal Commission dates the present building style to 1730 and was built by a Quaker family. The original construction is from ship’s timbers. They gained their building materials from broken up ships on the river Ouse at the end of their working life (this means that some of our timbers are from the 1600s!). William Tuke inherited the property from his Aunt in 1746 and became quite an influential person in York. He established the first cocoa bean roasting site in the country (look out of our back windows into what was originally the yard!) and one of the first four coffee bean roasting companies in the country. Remember that the next time you are having a nice coffee with a chocolate (not that we would recommend eating chocolate of course!).

Related Posts

Leave a Reply